We are grateful to the Robert and Ardis James Family Foundation for its vision, guidance and financial support. The James family founded Strategic Discussions for Nebraska in 2007 and their funding and support continue to make this program possible.
Beginning July 1, 2010, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources (IANR) began a financial and programmatic collaboration with Strategic Discussions for Nebraska. The program is deeply appreciative of the IANR collaboration and support.
In October 2011, Strategic Discussions for Nebraska moved to the UNL Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication.
We express appreciation for the advice of the Strategic Discussions for Nebraska Advisory Board members:
Mark Balschweid, Ph.D., Head of the UNL Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication
Charlyne Berens, Ph.D., Associate Dean, UNL College of Journalism and Mass Communications
Eric Brown, Ph.D., Retired Broadcast Executive Lexington, Nebraska
Susan Fritz, Ph.D., NU Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research
Linda Shipley, Ph.D., UNL College of Journalism and Mass Communications
Robert Meaney, Senior Vice President, Valmont Industries
Janie Park, Ph.D., Retired President, Chadron State College
Harvey Perlman, J.D., UNL Chancellor
Steven Waller, Ph.D., Dean, UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
Lyn Wallin Ziegenbein, J.D., Executive Director, Peter Kiewit Foundation
Ralph James, Executive Director of Executive Education Harvard Business School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Robert G. James, Ph.D., President Enterprise Asset Management, Inc., New York, New York
Cathy James Paglia, Director, Enterprise Asset Management, Inc., New York, New York
Ann Bruntz, Director of Development, UNL Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources University of Nebraska Foundation
Strategic Discussions for Nebraska extends special appreciation to:
- Dr. Ronnie Green, Vice Chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources; Dr. Steven Waller, dean of the UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources; and Dr. Mark Balschweid, chair of the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications. Their vision and support is unmatched and is gratefully acknowledged.
- UNL Extension and the Agricultural Research Division for their participation and assistance.
- Jill Brown, IANR director of external relations; Melissa Lee, NU communications manager; and Kim Hachiya, University Communications writer, for their work and their advice.
- The University of Nebraska administrators, faculty and staff who consented to be interviewed, arranged for interviews, provided photos or helped with technology. We are fortunate to work with these outstanding individuals, who are committed to stewardship and to the land-grant mission of this university.
- UNL Educational Media, for the professional services to produce both this publication and its website: Brandon Schulte, director; Janet Owens, business matters; Kurtis Harms, Jeff Wilkerson, and Mike Kamm, videography, video editing and photography; Betty Castan, electronic media support; Emilee Dorn and Emma Likens, electronic media student assistants; Lana Johnson, Pam Peters and Anita Schaepe, web support; Adam Wagler, multimedia specialist; Jaclyn Tan, writer; and Nick Manes, photographer. Additional thanks to the Educational Media publications team.
- Clint Chapman, for the graphic design of this publication.
- Photo credits: Nick Manes and Nkem Kalu
A Message From:
Facing the Global Food Challenge
A Place Without Limits: NU's Leading Role in Ag Innovation - J.B. Milliken
"Ag is Sexy Again" as Global Need for Food Increases- Ronnie Green
"Failure is Not an Option" in Addressing Global Food Scarcity- Archie Clutter
Dickey Reflects on Years as Dean of Extension- Elbert Dickey
Food Scarcity Information Dissemination Complex, Vital- Karen Cannon
Technology and Food
Nebraska- the Food Capital of the World?- Rolando Flores
Is a Fully-Sustainable World Within Reach?- Mark Burbach
Agricultural Efficiency Sustains Resources, Produces More- Roch Gaussoin
Technology, Teamwork and Stewardship Vital in Meeting 2050 Global Food Need- P. Stephen Baenziger
Protein Production Essential in Feeding the World- Matt Spangler
Nebraska's Irrigation Research Goes Global- William Kranz
The Plight of the Honey Bee- Marion Ellis
Society's Health Reflects Changing Food Culture- Georgia Jones and Marilynn Schnepf
Steps to Building a Healthier World- Jean Ann Fischer
Economics of Food
Ag Economists- Working to Assure Abundant, Safe Food- Larry Van Tassell
Global Food Scarcity, Distribution, Roadblocks- Dennis Conley
Global Economics Research Explains Food Scarcity Challenges- Lilyan Fulginiti
World Food Supply Adequate, but Poverty is the Problem- Wes Peterson
Ag Land Reflects Value of Growing Food for the Future- Bruce Johnson
A Land of Plenty- Exporting to the World Stan Garbacz- Stan Garbacz