This Opportunities for Nebraska magazine is the first in a series of four annual publications of Strategic Discussions for Nebraska that will explore the impact and relevance of research at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. You can watch and listen as UNL experts tell the stories of research and innovation at one of the top research universities in the United States.
University research is sometimes so complex that it's difficult to understand, but the stories and photos in these publications will capture the passion of discovery and the significance of new ideas - and how research affects you, me and the world.
We'll look at why research into food, fuel and water impacts not only land and lives in Nebraska, but also the land and lives of people throughout the world. We know it's not possible to conduct research without educating the state's people, so we'll explore education throughout the four magazines, as well. After all, that's what we do at the university - teach students, conduct research - and take that research to people throughout the state and the world.
In this magazine, you'll find a sampling of various kinds of research going on right now at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. These selected stories are meant to help readers become better-acquainted with research and the people who devote their lives to creating a better world. We also hope you'll look for our upcoming magazines!
We are grateful to the Robert and Ardis James Family Foundation for funding the Strategic Discussions for Nebraska research program and for placing it in the UNL College of Journalism and Mass Communications, which also provides support for the program. The James family believes in the power of change through discussion and dissemination of information.
Thank you for your interest!
Mary Garbacz, Coordinator and Editor
Strategic Discussions for Nebraska
Vol. 2 Articles
- Download Magazine
Land Grant Mission Articles
- NU Funding Sources
- U.S. Economic Power Hinges on Research Universities
- Nebraska Innovation Campus Means More Jobs, Keeping Talent in Nebraska
- Helping Kids Learn, Grow and Connect - Wherever They Live
- Choosing a Medicare Part D Plan: UNL Extension Offers Advice
- Handling Rural Conflict Can Make or Break Small Communities
- One Million New Scientists. One Million New Ideas.™
- Planning Your Meals to Save Your Life
- "Impacting the World Three Times a Day" and "Food from Thought"
- Feeding Millions of People Motivates UNL Grains Breeder
- Understanding Nebraska
- There's No Place Like Nebraska - for Weather
- UNL Water Center Addresses Quality, Quantity, Sustainability Issues
- Global Water for Food Institute Races to Find Sustainable Solutions